Friday, August 21, 2015

Trip Pics (Churches and Cathedrals Edition)!

As I was posting my previous batch of pictures, I realized that I had a rather large number of church/cathedral pictures. So instead bombarding you with an insufferable number of photos, I thought I'd break things up into two posts. Besides, as I mentioned before, I really need to post more often than once every thousand years. :)

 
Church in Guernsey... we almost didn't go inside this church -- we just randomly walked past it on our way back to the ship. But I saw other tourists walking in, so I decided to check it out...

One of the stained glass windows...

Mosaic floor tiles...

Another stained glass window... we were glad we took the time to stop and check this place out.

This kind of looks like a courthouse, but it was actually a Catholic church in Cork, Ireland. I didn't go inside, but I did have to get a picture of the exterior. Because -- purple doors! :)

The Metropolitan Cathedral in Liverpool. This place had an interesting, modern look to it, both outside and inside...

The inside was so much cooler than pictures can convey -- a complete circle, with small chapels situated along the outside walls, and high ceilings leading to the circular stained glass in the very middle.

We also stopped at the Liverpool Cathedral -- this place was amazing. Again, I'm guessing the pictures won't even begin to do it justice...

This cathedral had one of the most intricate stained glass windows I've ever seen (complete with modern neon installation at the bottom... we joked that it was nice that they were able to restore the original neon lettering :)).

It was cavernous and huge inside...

But my favorite part of Liverpool Cathedral was the creepy old cemetery behind the church, which looked like something straight out of a Harry Potter book...


That's about it for today -- next up in my Trip Pics series will be "Coffee and Other Random Nonsense." :) Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment