Monday, June 8, 2015

Welcome back to the randomness...

I've already managed to post twice in the last two weeks (albeit with sad subject matter), and I don't want to give up my posting momentum... so here's a random recap of some of the boring stuff that's been happening around here lately:

*It's warm in Chicago, finally! This is a big deal here, as spring tends to be VERY finicky -- one day it's 80 and you think it's safe to put away your sweaters and coats for the season, and then the next day it's back down to 40 and you have to drag them all back out again. It's kind of like winter in Texas -- where it's usually pretty mild, but every now and then it'll dip below freezing and you have to figure out where you've stored your heavy coat. But at least the weather forecasters in Texas usually seem to have SOME grasp of what's going on out there in the atmosphere -- sure, you get random pop-up thunderstorms every now and then, but for the most part, Texas meteorologists are able to make pretty decent educated guesses. But Chicago? It's like they all gather around dart boards with randomly placed weather phenomenon scattered over their surfaces:

Today it's going to be... (throws dart)... sunny! And... (throws dart)... 68 degrees! And tomorrow there's a... (throws dart)... 70 percent chance of... (throws dart)... locust swarms!

We then have a cold, rainy day, followed by sunshine and gathering fog. Yesterday, for instance, the forecast called for strong thunderstorms all day. We got... absolutely nothing. (Well, that's not entirely true -- we did see some nice lightning flashes out over the lake last night.) Rick has been extremely disappointed in the lack of storms so far this year. I'm guessing he just needs to wait until the forecast calls for clear skies and lots of sun. Because then... watch out.  Ah, well, it's always an adventure... :)

*I've been lucky to have a LOT of freelance work so far this year. Although June is starting out rather slow... but my experience seems to be that I either have more work than I can handle, or I have very little. Feast or famine. All or nothing. And it's the slow stretches that give me the time to catch up on things like writing blog posts... :)

I just finished a fun Christmas movie trivia project, where I spent several weeks writing various trivia questions for movies like White Christmas and Home Alone and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I actually spent an hour one day watching the latter (as well as How the Grinch Stole Christmas), because I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. And of course, when you have hundreds of little trivia blurbs to write about various holiday movies, eventually you find yourself running out of familiar films. After exhausting my knowledge of just about every Christmas favorite I could think of, I wrote my last few bits of trivia about that good old-fashioned holiday classic, Die Hard. (Hey, it really IS a Christmas movie! The whole thing takes place during a Christmas party! :)) What's really funny is that I was using mostly internet movie sites and my own memory to come up with trivia, and then literally the DAY I sent off the last of it, one of the channels on TV aired a Die Hard marathon. I watched it anyway, even though I was finished with the project, just because I'd spent so much time writing up trivia about it.

*So Rick read something the other day about how when bananas start to turn brown, they create some sort of substance that can break down abnormal cells, and by doing so, they might prevent cancer. I took this to mean that I should DEFINITELY use the browning bananas I have on my counter right now to make banana bread. Right? That's the obvious conclusion here...

And on that note, I should go work out... because I'll probably be making banana bread later on. ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment