Some random thoughts:
1) OMG, Kim and Kanye got married over the weekend! Oh wait... I don't care.
2) The Yankees were in Chicago all last week -- I saw more people walking around dressed in Yankee shirts, jerseys, and hats than people wearing Cubs or Sox gear. It was great -- I almost felt like I was back in New York, except there's no place to get a giant pretzel around here...
3) Rick and I have discovered the best cappuccinos in the city (according to our subjective caffeine-fueled opinion) at Eataly. They also have a plethora of much-too-delicious-looking imported cookies, chocolates, pasta, bread, cheeses, and other foods and drinks. I'm amazed that I've been able to stop with a cappuccino purchase every time we've been there... but it's only a matter of time before some of that Italian chocolate comes home with me.
4) So I never did finish telling the tale of my temperamental teeth. And yes, this was partly because I took a blogging break -- but it's mostly because what should have been a simple, routine fix turned into a months-long saga. First, my crown fell off... when I went to the dentist to have it re-cemented, I found out it was fitting incorrectly and I needed a new one. So I went back to be fitted for a new one, and had a temporary one cemented on in the meantime. The new one arrived the week before we left for Hawaii -- I was so happy to know that I'd have a new crown and not have to worry about what I ate when I went on vacation. But when the dentist tried to affix the new crown, he discovered that, once again, it didn't fit correctly! So the temporary went back on, and I went to Hawaii and worried about everything I ate (but at least I was worried in Hawaii :)).
Sometime in March, I finally got the permanent crown... and for three weeks, everything was fine. And then one day I was eating a very non-crunchy, non-chewy, perfectly normal square of plain chocolate, and felt a horrible, familiar crunch -- it was the NEW crown, loose in my mouth. It fell off after only three weeks! So back to the dentist I went (where I was told that it's extremely rare for a new crown to fall off, even if you've been eating nuts and caramel and Tootsie Rolls and ice chips), and the crown was re-cemented onto my tooth. At this point, I decided that it might be a good idea to go ahead and get fitted for a night guard -- I've known for years that I grind my teeth at night (and I've always been suspicious that this might also contribute to my "teeth falling out" dreams). And after the brand-new crown fell off, I couldn't help but wonder if grinding my teeth contributed to that, as well. So once again, I went back to the dentist, and had the impressions taken for the night guard. It was ready to be picked up about three weeks ago, so I went for what was supposed to be a five -minute appointment. But guess what? When the dentist snapped the guard over my teeth, IT DIDN'T FIT CORRECTLY. That seems to have been the theme of my dentist visits this year...
So today I'm going back for what I hope (I really, really HOPE) will be the last time for a while, to pick up my (refitted) night guard. I kind of feel like I should just automatically have an appointment set up at the dentist's office every three or four weeks, since that's about how often I've been going this year. I mean, it's practically time for me to go back for a cleaning... but I think I'll hold off for a while.
5) We're supposed to get thunderstorms in Chicago today, but I'm hoping they won't show up until after I've walked to and from the dentist. Right now, it is deceptively sunny and warm, and appears to be a perfect late-spring day. But I have this bad feeling that as soon as I'm ready to go outside, the clouds will converge over downtown and the threat of imminent lightning strikes will loom large. My only comfort is knowing that I can see both the Sears Tower and the Hancock Building from this location, so any lightning worth its salt will know that the best way to unleash its fury is to attack one of those buildings (instead of some random person running towards a dentist's office).
6) That's it for today. I'm off to eat my usual lunch of nuts, caramel, Tootsie Rolls and ice chips. ;) Have a great week, everyone!